Monday 16 May 2011

Sewing Spectacular ...

I've been so busy this week that I've rarely had time to myself what with work, scouts and visiting friends so my grand ideas of vintage fashion have been on the back burner a little. However that's not totally stopped me spending those pennies.

I'm a rather awkward shape at only 5'1" with a 30" waist and 40" bust I'm discovering that its nire on impossible to find vintage clothing with dimensions even close to this.  So I've decided to dust off my dress making skills.  So far I've only really used my sewing machine to make the inevitable adjustments to clothing I've bought off the peg.  I'll happily unpick a bust line to take it out and also take in the waist but this does rely on seam allowances being generous which isn't always the case.  So over the last few weeks I've been hunting for vintage clothing patterns and have just enrolled on a dress making course to remind myself just how to follow a pattern. I think the last pattern I followed was for my graduation ball gown back in 1999 .. omg that feels a long time ago!

For the dress making course I've decided to take this pattern with me as it’s got quite a vintage feel to it.  Now all I've got to do is decide on the fabric which is proving to be more of a challenge as I have no decent fabric shops close by.  I'm really excited about going and can't wait to get the creative juices going.  I'm always so frustrated by the shape of available dresses in shops and have always been on that hunt for the dress that fits like a glove but a lass I always go away with a sense of disappointment or the knowledge that I'm going to have to spend 2 hours adjusting a £60 dress.

So watch this space for all my attempts be them a success or a complete failure!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you going to have loads of success with all your future sewing projects. I promise you the hardest part is deciding what to make first! I look forward to seeing the results :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your words of encouragement ... I so looking forward to it ... ekkk

    ReplyDelete