Monday 7 May 2012

Wedding Daze

On April 28th I had the pleasure of going to my cousins wedding. I love weddings something about the anticipation of the dress, good food and spending time with family and friends that's a winning combination. As a result my outfit planning started in earnest. I had initially great plans on making my own dress from this pattern.

But then I can across this Bernie Dexter dress from Miss Bamboo I instantly fell in love with the green material and didn't even hesitate to click the buy button. I paid no thought of would it fit. Buying dress is pretty much a nightmare for me which I've mentioned previously so I knew that I'd end up spending time making alterations to it.

I was so excited when it arrived and the fabric as just as fantastic in real life. But then the work really began. I finally made really good use of Daisy and set to work. Firstly I set her to my dimensions but using a fab hint from Gertie who's blog I have been following for a while. Shes got a great online course to make a bombshell dress which is next on my list of todo's. Anyway, her hint was to find a bra that I know fits well, pad it out and to use it on your tailors dummy. This caused many giggles in our house from my husband.


Hours later I'd taken the waist in by two inchs, moved the waist line up by half an inch. Altered the line of the bust slightly, and taken an inch off the length. I was sooo happy with my results but then I just wasn't quite happy with the arms so then changed them into short sleeves rather than 3/4.

Next it was the shoes, I'd decided that a red pair would be a fab contrast to the green and I love Irregular Choice shoes they are so quirky! and eventually settled on these.

So how did the outfit all fit together? Well here you go. I was so happy with the result.

And me striking a pose.
I didn't know quite what to do with my hands so my other cousin ran to my rescue to provide me with a prop.


I got so many compliments throughout the day I was slightly taken aback. From lady's in the loo's commenting on my hair to random men on the dance floor telling me my dress and shoes were generating lots of positive talk. I really did end the evening on a high. The bride was amazing as was the groom and the best mens speech was a hoot.

Completely forgot to get any pictures of my hair but I'm sure I'll be doing it like this again so will tell you all about that later.

2 comments:

  1. ooh you look stunning! What a wonderful dress and your tailoring makes it a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) .. I felt really overwhelmed with all the positive comments I received that day.

      Delete